Wednesday, May 4, 2011

May 4, 2011


People have always been able to understand me. I just can't say a lot. Taking the taxi wasn't really an adventure. We don't really have a lot of scary areas. It was just exciting because we don't take them. And I have no idea if the woman got the BoM. We usually haven't just gone around for the purpose of giving out BoMs. It's hard when your bag isn't that big and you have to be out all day to just carry a lot. So we've only given out one on the days when we have given them out. Yes, coloring eggs is a tradition here too. They color and decorate them just like we do in the states. Hoorah for Elizabeth making Chambers! Is there a final JIVE list yet? Wow. That's weird that Danny will be at Morningside, but sounds cool. And we've known that Jacob looks a lot like Danny since he was born. 

I'm not sure I understand your question about English club. It's a church-led program. We put it on through the Church as a service, and a way to get new investigators. I'm not sure where all they do it, but I know that most missions in Russia do it. We basically just split into 3 different levels. The advanced group just practices conversation, and the less-advanced groups just learn words, basic stuff. We can't really teach-teach since we're not qualified, we just put it on to help them practice.

Each week seems to go by faster and faster. I feel like not much has happened this week. We've checked lots of our branch list addresses. While we were doing that on Thursday, we had a surprise thunderstorm (well, surprise for us since we never are able to check the weather). On Saturday, we had a service opportunity. Our entire zone went to this park/forest place to help clean up. It was a pretty crazy day. We were all in 2 Marshrutkas and the one I was in got hit/hit (I'm not sure which) another car. So, even though there were only scratches on both cars, we did have to switch Marshrutkas and now I can say that I've been in a car accident in Moscow. And it was weird to be out in nature. I felt like I was at Girls' Camp or something. We saw a baby moose, picked up sticks, some Elders chopped and stacked wood...it was definitely not stuff I was expecting to do on my mission to one of the biggest cities in the world, but it was fun and really pretty. I would send you pictures, but our card reader broke last week, so...you're out of luck.

C. X has been sick a lot of this week. Finally on Sunday I forced her to take it easy, and after Church we went home and she slept for the rest of the day. I studied and watched Preach My Gospel DVDs all day. I don't recommend it. It's great and all, but not for like 5 hours straight. Luckily she's feeling better now, but I've been starting to get a sore throat, so I'm hoping that I don't come down with it.

People-wise this week, we've gone and visited an inactive lady we found checking addresses a few times. She doesn't come to Church because of an alcoholic husband who started being against the church about 2 years after she was baptized. And Tanya came to Church again and has now had pretty much all the first lesson through us talking with her in between meetings and the Sunday School lessons we've had. And Monday we took her to the YSA FHE in our branch, which she seemed to really enjoy. The only problem is that we haven't actually been able to meet with her and give her a real lesson yet. It's frustrating. We were supposed to meet with her Sunday after Church, but she had to leave. 

Anyway, that's about it. Love you! I'll talk to you on Sunday.

Love,
Sister Rachel

No comments: