Friday, January 1, 2016

Bye, 2015

In 2015, my blog was neglected, in large part due to grad school eating my life, but let's be honest--the first part of 2015 wasn't full of regular blogging either. Anyway, I have a resolution to blog more for myself and what a better way to kick that off than with this Buzzfeed inspired review of 2015.

1. What did you do this year that you’re proud of? Two words: grad school.
2. Who did you meet this year that inspired you? All of my good friends in my program. Smart, lovely, energizing, wonderful, inspiring people.
3. What did you read that you think bettered you? The Elegance of the Hedgehog. It was a reread, but this book never ceases to instill in me a deeper love for all the people and little miracles all around me.
4. What are songs that you will always hear and think of this year even when you’re listening on some contraption that hasn’t even been invented yet? Hamilton. Fight Song by Rachel Platten. And Taylor Swift's 1989 album.
5. What were some times that you laughed so hard you could barely breathe? The two that come to mind are pretty recent, both at home with my family. The night Matt got married on Rebecca's bed with her and Elizabeth, and Christmas Eve when we were watching old family videos.
6. What were your favorite movies? Not what was good, not what you had to see because of your friends or the media. What were your favorites? I didn't see a lot of movies this year, actually. I really loved Star Wars, Inside Out, and Pitch Perfect 2. But there were a few more that I didn't get to see but really wanted to
7. What are some fears that you had at the beginning of the year that you overcame? I don't think I've completely overcome this one, but I've certainly learned how to be alone.
8. What were quotes that you loved this year? Anything from Hamilton.
9. What are ways that you exercised self care? Well, this is one that I actually really need to do better with, but 2015 taught me a lot about how and when and why I need to exercise greater measures of self care.
10. What are things you want to see more of next year? Museums and shows. I live in such a great, big, beautiful city now, and I want to take more advantage of it. Also, just the world in general. I want to travel more and spend more time in nature.
11. What are five things you did that you never thought you’d actually do? Live by myself (more or less), move out of Utah (I guess I knew I'd do this one, it just felt like it took a long time coming), take out student loans . . . I guess I need to do more things that are hard for me?
12. What were your favorite things this year? The weddings of my best friends, hiking Angel's Landing with Katelyn, roadtripping across the US with Kate, visiting Utah at the end of the year, and really just living in Chicago.
13. What are the most important things you learned this year? How to be alone and lonely, that it doesn't matter what I do for work as long as I like who/what I'm doing it for and feel valued, and that I'm much more capable than I sometimes think.
14. What is your favorite photo from this year? I feel like I've become a pretty good phone photographer this year, but I think my favorite one I actually didn't take. It's this one from April.
15. What are five things you want to say to people you love? I love you, thank you, visit me, how's your soul, here's a hug 
16. What are some places where you feel true joy in your life? Lisa and Will's house in Madison, in the mountains, the branch building, art museums
17. Where do you feel most yourself? Anywhere with my dearest friends
18. What were your favorite meals? sandwiches from Plein Air and Toast (yes, I'm counting it as a meal)
19. How did you calm yourself in times of stress? I took up meditation this year, which has really helped.
20. What are some compliments that you received that deeply affected you? My old Bishop mentioned that he was sorry he didn't use me more in the ward, Catherine called me her angel, and Kate wrote me a very touching "letter of recommendation" that contained numerous compliments that really meant a lot.
21. Who are people that you believe are bringing out the best in you? My branch (especially our sister missionaries and the rest of the RS presidency) and my dearest friends
22. What items of clothing did you buy that felt the most you? The JCrew paisley pencil skirt I used to borrow from Tracy all the time before I bought my own
23. What are you excited about leaving behind in 2015? The things I want to leave behind I actually have to bring with me into the future, but I'm excited to learn how to better deal with them this next year.
24. What are five things that you were hard on yourself about but would never have been hard on a friend if they were experiencing it? My depression/anxiety, not dating, procrastination, body issues, spending money
25. What are the best pieces of advice you heard this year? I don't even know.
26. What are the best pieces of advice you gave this year? I used to think I was good at advice, but this year I haven't felt that way.
27. What things have you been putting off doing because you didn’t have time? Exploring more of Chicago, reading more books, putting music on my phone
28. What are some things you’d like to focus and work on in the next year? My thesis and finding a fulfilling career, my emotional and mental health, cooking, keeping tidy
29. What are the best parts of you that you feel really showed through this year? My courage, kindness, and resilience.
30. What are your biggest hopes for 2016? Love, stability, and joy.

1 comment:

Lisa said...

All the love in my heart for you. And you're welcome to come to our house anytime. (I know you know that, but it's still true.)