Tuesday, October 28, 2008

The Beatitudes

Okay, so I've definately been slacking on my blog. I keep thinking about it, but whenever I'm at my computer it's not the most urgent thing that needs to be done, or I forget about it or something.

Ever since I read the Sermon on the Mount a few weeks ago for my New Testament class, I've been trying to become more like my Savior by following the precepts he laid out at the beginning of Matthew 5--the Beatitudes. Let me list them here:
  • Blessed are the poor in spirit (humble)
  • Blessed are they that mourn (I also take this as those who comfort and help those who are in need of it)
  • Blessed are the meek
  • Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness (teachable)
  • Blessed are the merciful
  • Blessed are the pure in heart
  • Blessed are the peacemakers
  • Blessed are they which are persecuted for righteousness' sake (or, I apply this to me, as I don't come across much persecution in a Mormon community such as BYU, those who endure affliction)

My favorite one is verse 6: those who hunger and thirst after righteousness. It sums up the desire to be Christ-like in such a beautiful metaphor. If we want to be like Christ, we will be. When you're hungry and thirsty, it's all you think about. Christ, through this beatitude, invites us to feast upon his gospel and come unto Him.

As I've been trying to be more Christ-like by way of the Beatitudes the past few weeks, I've personally been a lot happier in my life. The promise of chapter 5 is really true; verse 12 says "Rejoice, and be exceeding glad." Even the word Beatitude means "to be fortunate" or "to be happy" or "to be blessed." That is what the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and the goal of our Heavenly Father and Savior, is all about: perfecting us and making us happier.

No comments: