Friday, January 2, 2009

Going Home from Home

First of all, Happy New Year. It kind of weirds me out that it's 2009 already. I don't feel that old! Last night was a blast though with my two best friends from home and then today I went and saw Bedtime Stories with my family. Highly recommend it. Wonderful movie.

So right now I'm taking a break from packing. Tomorrow at noon I'm heading out to home...from home. It's odd how when you're in college (at least to most of the people I know), you call both places home. And it's true. Twin Falls is my hometown. I love it here. I love my family. I love seeing the few friends that I actually see when I'm home. Last Christmas break I was ready to go back down to school after Christmas was over. Over the summer I hated being here in Twin Falls for the first 3 months I was here--from the middle of July onward it was great, but that's a different story. But you know, over Thanksgiving I felt like I didn't get enough time at home. Part of that I'm sure was I got to go back to finals. But now, as I'm leaving Twin after 2 weeks home for Christmas break, I feel like I've hardly been here. It hasn't been a week since Christmas. I wasn't home for a week before Christmas. I've been here maybe one week tops. But the calendar tells me two. And that classes start on Monday. So I need to go back down to Provo.

Provo. Which is also home. Yes, my family's not there. But I see my Grandma and cousins. I have dear friends who are basically family there. I love BYU and feel like I belong there. And I know and realize that I'll eventually get tired of just sitting at home because I'm an adult. I need a routine. I need to live on my own. I enjoy living on my own. And so Provo is my second home. Yes, it's not perfect all the time, and sometimes I wish I was in Twin, but at the same time, it goes the other way as well. I love the beauty of the mountains and campus down in Provo, but I also love the beauty of Twin Falls. The flat openness, the canyon, the temple spire rising up from anywhere in town. And then there's my dear, dear friends from home. Like Lindsey and Chip. I don't know how in the world I live without two of the people who are so alike me, but with enough differences to keep us all sane. The three of us think on the same wavelength, and my life just isn't the same without them.

Home is where the heart is. So my heart is split between two places, but I don't mind. So what if I say before I leave for Twin Falls "I'm going HOME!" and then when I leave for Provo, "I'm going Home!" I have two homes. They attract me at different times of the year. But right now, as I'm packing to go back to Provo, I really don't want to go back. I thought this break would be like last year and that after a week and a half I'd be wanting to go back. I just wish I could have another week at home. Home has changed since I was here over the summer--and lots of that is because I've changed a lot for the better. I'm not ready to get back to the work load of school and a job and an apartment. I want more time with my family. I want more time with Lindsey and Chip. I want more time to just breathe and sleep in my bed. I want more time with the pretty Idaho sky, and I want more time with my grand piano. But at the same time I really want to take my classes this semester. I'm really excited for my schedule. I'm excited to see friends I haven't seen in months who are home from Study Abroads and the ones I havne't seen in weeks since we left break. So in a sense I want to go to college-place, Provo-home. Just not quite yet. But alas. But not in a completely bad way. :)

Anyway, I must return to my suitcase now. I somehow need to stuff all my clothes into the suitcase and my laundry bag. That will be an adventure. Then I need to finish reading the lat 80 or so pages in the book Lindsey lent me so that I can give it back to her before I leave. So goodnight! See you in Provo!

No comments: