Tuesday, April 28, 2009

EDINBURGH!

I now have a new favorite place. This city is so beautiful. I could just spend hours wandering the city. Luckily we have a few days, but I think it won't be enough. Seriously. Everything about it...it's so green, there are little parks everywhere, the history, the buildings. It just makes me so happy. Here's a brief overview of what we've done so far:

I slept in because I forgot to turn on my alarm, but that's okay. I wandered around trying to find my busstop and eventually found it and got on. Rode a double-decker bus for the second time (hooray!). Met John at the hostel; he and Lauren were the only ones there at first. SLowly everyone else got there. We went exploring--found a really good, cheap place to eat where we got pasties. So good. Wandered around the National Gallery. Wrote in my journal. CLimbed to the top of the Scott Monument. It's a huge pointy tower in the middle of Edinburgh, a memorial to Sir Walter Scott. 287 stairs of clausterphobia. I mean, tight spaces usually don't bug me, but spiral staircases where one person can barely squeeze through was a littl emuch. BUt it was totally worth it as well. The view were amazing. I keep thinking that one day I'll wake up and be like, "Oh, so this isn't really all that pretty" or that I'll turn a corner and it'll all disappear, but nope. It never ceases to amaze me. Then we walked to and to the top of Calton Hill. Also beautiful. A guy advertized to us about the Pagan Festival that'll be held on the hill on May Day. We'll be able to see the fire from our hostel, but we won't be allowed to go, for obvious reasons involving much drunkeness and much nakedness. But you know...hahaha. I don't really think any of us want to go. :) Now we're back at the hostel waiting for dinner.

Tomorrow's plans: hike to Edinburgh Castle. Wander some more. CHeck out the bookshop right by our hostel that is only open Wednesday-Saturday so we couldn't go today. Get my luggage (yes, it got lost, and hopefully it'll be here tomorrow). Have some more fun. And just be awesome. Also, we're going to the place where JK ROwling wrote the first Harry POtter book. SO excited.

BUt I have to go...my internet is almost up. I have 50 seconds before it logs me off. Love you all!

1 comment:

Tracy said...

Rach-

I knew you'd love Edinburgh. Definitely go to the Elephant Cafe. And a tip- Arthur's seat! It was one of my favorite things about my trip up north.

Love you, You're wonderful.