Monday, May 14, 2012

May 14, 2012

So I know that I just talked to you yesterday, but I realized that I didn't really tell you a lot about my week. It was really awesome to see you all though!
So last P-Day we had "Monument Day." Basically Sister Thrall and I wanted to see all the memorials, monuments, things here in Zelenograd, especially since they were almost all decked out for Victory Day. We walked a lot and it was a lot of fun, especially to see some areas of ZGrad that I have only seen in the wintertime. We also ended up walking around the old cemetary here.
 
We had some interesting things happen this week. I ended up talking to this sweet babushka while we were English prigging. She was the cutest thing. This inactive that I have been working with since I have been here and hasn't come to church in a year quit her job to spend more time with her family and coming to church, but she didn't come to church on Sunday (I saw it coming, becuase she always does stuff like that, but I still had hope since there was no excuse this time). I FINALLY got a hold of that Marina who called two weeks ago...after trying to call every day. She's not interested anymore. Bummer. But I did all I could, it's not my fault she didn't answer.
 
We fixed our district leader's shoes. Elder Ayers and I have served together for 6 transfers now, and he's awesome. And his favorite and more dressy pair of shoes is falling apart and so Sister Thrall and the idea to sew them up. So we took them and sewed them up and fixed them up the best we could. It was super fun. We also realized that his feet are huge--they're bigger than our heads. Maybe everyone's foot is bigger than they're head, but it was super funny.
 
Friday and Saturday were actually really hard for me. I was just feeling like it's been so long since I've had visible success and I was tired and a bunch of other things. But Elder Ayers and Elder Clawson (one of my MTC elders who is AP right now and was up here on a split) gave me a blessing that really, really helped. The priesthood is sooo wonderful.
Sunday after we talked was great! There was actually a lot of really cool stuff that happened! So we have started singing hymns before sacrament--the missionaries and a few members, to help with reverance. And this week we're singing and this guy comes up to sing with us--we've never seen him before and I'm wondering who the heck he is because 1) He doesn't look Russian 2) He looks like a member of the church. Turns out he's an old/new investigator of the Elders! He's actually Finnish, but has lived in ZGrad since he was 9, and met with the Elders like 2 years ago. One of the companionships of Elders found him in their area book and called, he asked if we still have sports day and said he would come. The next day they call to remind him and he had been drinking and said he wanted nothing to do with them. The next day (Saturday) they ran into him on the street. I guess he's been thinking a lot about life and what he wants and how to turn his life around and everything, and he found answers to some questions in an old Liahona he found in his apartment and so he decided to come to church on Sunday! He is awesome! We're so happy that the Elders found him. He is just a gem. AND we had a hopefully new-investigator come to church too! She got an english prig like a year ago and never came and was thinking that she should come and saw the Elders on the street and asked them if we still have English club. So she came on Wednesday (Wednesday was super cool--we had the ward party where we sang war songs, and then had a super fun English Club even though we didn't know who all would come) and we invited her to church and she came! It's really interesting--the Lord's timing. Because she didn't come a year ago, but she turns 18 on Friday, which makes meeting with her a lot easier. She is just super cute, and Ksusha even got her to stay for Sunday school. Also, we have this lady who's been coming to church for a long time, but we were asked by her member friend not to try to set up a meeting with her (dumb, I was so mad when this member got mad at us), but she's started staying for all 3 hours and has made some other friends in the ward and cried in RS and I feel like maybe soon she'll be ready to meet with us.
 
So yeah. Today we're actually having a working day, and just emailing home and President, because we have zone conference tomorrow and so we'll be in Moscow already and Wednesday is free museum day, so we're going to hit up as many museums as we can tomorrow. Should be fun!
Anyway. See you later!
Love,
Sister Ashby

No comments: