Monday, October 26, 2009

My favorite place

When I was in 5th grade, the Nauvoo Temple was dedicated. I got to go to the broadcast of the temple dedication, which was cool because a few years earlier I had seen the bare temple site, before President Hinckley had even announced the rebuilding. Before the dedication (in the morning, before school, and which I felt very grown-up going to), my dad had me read D&C 109, the dedicatory prayer to the Kirtland Temple. So this section has always been special to me, because I have always connected it with the temple both historically, scripturally, and personally...obviously.

As I was preparing my lesson for RS on temples a couple weeks ago, I re-read a couple verses that soon became among my favorites, and I just reread them again for D&C tomorrow. Here they are--I wanted to share them with everyone because of the strength with which they struck me anew (my emphasis added in verse 15).

13 And that all people who shall enter upon the threshold of the Lord’s house may feel thy power, and feel constrained to acknowledge that thou hast sanctified it, and that it is thy house, a aplace of thy holiness.
14 And do thou grant, Holy Father, that all those who shall worship in this house may be taught words of wisdom out of the best abooks, and that they may seek learning even by study, and also by faith, as thou hast said;
15 And THAT THEY MAY GROW UP IN THEE, and receive a fulness of the Holy Ghost, and be organized according to thy laws, and be prepared to obtain every needful thing;
16 And that this house may be a house of prayer, a house of fasting, a house of faith, a house of glory and of God, even thy house.

No comments: